Tour of the Louvre

My Louvre visit in Paris, France, in 1997 was quite an experience. Only about 2 hours in there, and I saw most of the main attractions. W...


My Louvre visit in Paris, France, in 1997 was quite an experience. Only about 2 hours in there, and I saw most of the main attractions.
With camera in hand I snapped photos of everything I could see!


What you see here are only a few of my many photos. I have quite a few more that I will display here at a later time.

louvre glass pyramid

If you want to see some of the photographs I posted before, of my Visual Arts semester to England, please visit…

Photos of My Art Class Trip to England

Louvre Tour – Paintings and Sculptures


The Wedding Feast at Cana – Painting


wedding feast veronese


The Wedding Feast at CanaThe Louvre, Paris, France

This huge oil painting (measures 267” by 391”) by Paolo Veronese, left quite the impression on me. I love and appreciate the attention to detail in all these old master paintings. This is something I have strived for in my own art since seeing the masterpieces of these artists. This painting has so much underlying meaning and purpose.

Raft of the Medusa Рby Th̩odore G̩ricault


raft medusa painting
Raft of the Medusa
Théodore Géricault
Musée du Louvre, Paris

Visual artist Théodore Géricault completed this oil painting between the years of 1818–1819. There is a definite sense of urgency and danger here as the inhabitants of the raft struggle to survive, some already perishing.

The sheer scale brings the viewer into the scene. Standing close to it, I felt a little unsettled. I felt like I was there with them, at that time, feeling their pain.
I just love this painting!

Nike of Samothrace – Greek Sculpture


nike greek sculpture
The Nike of Samothrace in the Louvre was made sometime between the years of 220–190 BC 
It is a Greek sculpture representing their Goddess Nike (means “victory”)
This is a sculpture I learned about in art history class.

I actually majored in both sculpture and painting there, and just loved working in clay. I’m hoping to get back to creating more sculpture someday.







The Coronation of Napoleon – Painting


napoleon coronation louvre


The Coronation of NapoleonMusée du Louvre, Paris, France

This painting by Jacques-Louis David (1808) is absolutely huge! It spans almost the entire wall in the room.
Standing near it, I felt as though I was a spectator there, during the ceremony.

Rembrandt Self-Portraits


rembrandt portraits art
Rembrandt Self PortraitsThe Louvre, Paris, France


Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669)  in the) was a Dutch painter and printmaker. I have always admired his many self-portraits, and his way of recording the way he felt at different stages of life, in his facial expressions. All these portraits show his development as an artist, and tell the story of his life. Art-colleges.com should be able to teach you more about Rembrandt van Rijn and his significant contributions to European Art.

This is something I have taken with me, in my own artwork. My paintings and drawings tell the story of myself, and where I  have been.

The Mona Lisa – Portrait by Leonardo Da Vinci


mona lisa louvre


The Mona Lisa Leonardo da Vinci
1503-1517

Completed by Leonardo da Vinci, and now residing at the Musée du Louvre, Paris, this very famous painting was one I was really wanting to see! As one can see, it was very difficult to get close and the painting lies behind a plexiglass barrier.

Although I could not get close, I was quite satisfied after I took a couple photographs. 

Featured Artist Spotlite!

I am taking submissions for an artist spotlite at my other blog ArtProMotivate. I have quite a few submissions already, but I will not be turning any of my artist friends down, especially my readers on this art blog.

So, if you want to be included, please read all the details here…
Submit to Our Artist Spotlite

COMMENTS

BLOGGER
Name

abstract acrylic painting art competitions art diary art prints art promotion articles boats drawing fishery icebergs inspiration newfoundland news oil painting paintings pet painting photography portraits progress rock painting seascape surreal tutorials update wildlife art
false
ltr
item
Graham Matthews: Tour of the Louvre
Tour of the Louvre
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgVEC_k_7KYH3UunGzFG1Gw9T_mWQ7MHd6WRBDGNWFZ31P5FBAXWEs_3oyQvVlyYKuRZY1EjgxfAAfOsH1s6pk7T9DatZH7u7oELkEvca8FZm0v00jHFDy72GEt4hEfYpGWLU31_6iyXxE/?imgmax=800
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgVEC_k_7KYH3UunGzFG1Gw9T_mWQ7MHd6WRBDGNWFZ31P5FBAXWEs_3oyQvVlyYKuRZY1EjgxfAAfOsH1s6pk7T9DatZH7u7oELkEvca8FZm0v00jHFDy72GEt4hEfYpGWLU31_6iyXxE/s72-c/?imgmax=800
Graham Matthews
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2011/12/tour-of-louvre.html
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2011/12/tour-of-louvre.html
true
6749287200691343455
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy