Voyage Abroad - Abstract Painting – Oil on Canvas

    In the previous two posts leading up to this one, I have been delving into the thought process and background history of one of my fir...

 

 

In the previous two posts leading up to this one, I have been delving into the thought process and background history of one of my first successful artwork creations, “Voyage Abroad”.

 

 

What I mean by “successful” is that before then, I had not developed a particular style all my own, and this piece (and a few others at the time) became my definitive magnum opus.

These two posts are found here:

Why do I Paint This Way?

Photos of my Art Class Trip to England

 

How My Art Style Developed


Of course, this particular style had developed and nurtured since early childhood, when I would doodle and sketch compulsively. I can see now why I sketched so much. My parents often drank obsessively, and my only means of escape (or so I thought) was to spend hours in my room drawing whatever came to mind. I always drew, from the very beginning, to escape from reality.

 

It wasn’t until art school in the fall of 1996, that I even stood in front of an empty canvas. I felt like I had been painting all my life, and instantly fell in love with it! (I still have this painting in my house… I will try to post it here soon)

 

“Voyage Abroad” Creation

 

The abstract painting “Voyage Abroad” was completed the summer after my spring semester art trip to Europe. I felt compelled and inspired to create a piece that summarized the feelings I felt at that time. That spring was a season of firsts for me… first time on an airplane, first time out of the province, first time seeing so many wonderful things. My world had been made much larger, and my perceptions of society and my relationship with it changed considerably.

 

Voyage Abroad Arts Abstract

 

Dual Interpretation of the Painting

 

Voyage Abroad has two levels of meaning. I will discuss each of them separately.

  1. The literal expanding of horizons

    I used a few of my photographs as a reference for the original sketch, and to develop the idea.

    The Under-painting:

    The Eiffel Tower was on the right, and still can be recognized to a certain degree. The bottom of left of the composition was Stonehenge in the under-painting. At the top left a airplane/clouds combination has been distorted so much that it’s completely indistinguishable. A hillside lies behind the Eiffel Tower form, which is one in La Scie, Newfoundland… the town where I lived at the time.

    By painting all these places onto one canvas, and hiding “beneath the surface”, I could hold onto the places I travelled. My experiences there are forever a part of me, and has been reflected in my art ever since.

  2. The subconscious escape from reality

    As I discussed earlier, art has always been an escape and comforting zone for me. I have not always understood why I “hide'” my themes underneath distorted forms, but today I can say I certainly know why.


    It has to do with the shapes and patterns that are seen on the surface!


    Some resemble contorted inner body parts, cellular structures, and  long twisty veiny formations. The surface is trying to be hidden, while the underneath is being exposed.

I have always been very shy, more-so when I completed this painting. So, I can see now that this painting is myself trying to hide, while at the same time wanting to express myself outwardly.

It hasn’t been until quite recently that I have been able to.. fully.

I have my beautiful wife to thank for that!

COMMENTS

BLOGGER
Name

abstract acrylic painting art competitions art diary art prints art promotion articles boats drawing fishery icebergs inspiration newfoundland news oil painting paintings pet painting photography portraits progress rock painting seascape surreal tutorials update wildlife art
false
ltr
item
Graham Matthews: Voyage Abroad - Abstract Painting – Oil on Canvas
Voyage Abroad - Abstract Painting – Oil on Canvas
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AYVogEaWo1A/TvEQqZFJY7I/AAAAAAAACG8/g7qGGYsFHTM/s604/voyage_abroad_painting_surreal_trip_art_eiffeltower.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AYVogEaWo1A/TvEQqZFJY7I/AAAAAAAACG8/g7qGGYsFHTM/s72-c/voyage_abroad_painting_surreal_trip_art_eiffeltower.jpg
Graham Matthews
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2011/12/finest-abstract-painting-creation-art.html
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2011/12/finest-abstract-painting-creation-art.html
true
6749287200691343455
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy