Photos of my Art Class Trip to England

In my previous post, I mentioned that I would explain the underlying meanings behind my painting “ Voyage Abroad ”. This article can be f...


In my previous post, I mentioned that I would explain the underlying meanings behind my painting “Voyage Abroad”.


This article can be found here:
Why do I Paint This Way?


Before writing an analysis of this abstract painting (in the next post), I figured I would give you all a little background to what inspired it.


Between the years of 1996-1999, I attended the Fine Arts College in Corner Brook Newfoundland. In the spring of 1997, my Visual Arts class went on a 6 week trip to Harlow, England. We completed three art history courses there at the time, which involved touring various museums and landmarks around England. From there, we travelled to various locations around Europe.



Stonehenge the Artist
Stonehenge
I always imagined these stones larger than they were, but they were very big just the same. I wonder how they got those huge stones up there. Online history classes can teach you more about Stonehenge and how it was built in several stages during the Neolithic period in around 2,500 BC.




During midterm break, a few of us, me included, took the bus to Amsterdam and Paris. In Amsterdam we visited some of the museums and landmarks. These included Rembrandt House, and the Van Vogh Museum, among others.
Leaving Amsterdam after a couple days stay, we hopped on a train to Paris. We only had one day left before break was over, and there were plenty of places I wanted to see, and so little time. The places we decided to see in that very short time-frame were the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Arch de Triumph, and Notre Dame Cathedral.


Eiffel Tower Arts

Approaching the Eiffel Tower
The first time I saw it, I just stood in awe! The sculptures and fountains that led up to it were equally breathtaking.
There was so much to see in such a short time, so I spent the whole walk toward the tower snapping photos.







I must say, I really enjoyed the view on top of the Eiffel Tower, and viewing all the paintings from the Old Masters in the Louvre. These were things I never thought I would see in my whole lifetime!




Eiffel Tower Fine Arts
Top of the Tower
Believe it or not, we walked up all the stairs until we got to the restaurant and took the elevator the rest of the way.









The whole trip was a life-changing experience, since I had not travelled anywhere off the island of Newfoundland before that. I certainly realized right then that the world wasn’t so big as it seemed, and that people are all the same wherever you go.



Mona Lisa the Art
The Mona Lisa
We spent most of the time in the Louvre walking fast, looking at paintings, and taking photographs.
Seeing the Mona Lisa was awesome but we couldn’t get very close!







Travelling to England opened up a whole new world of possibilities in my artwork as well. It was after that trip that my paintings became free-flowing and more colorful.



Statue Painting Artwork
Graham Matthews
Yes, this is me! This is actually the only photograph I have of myself after taking over 1000 pictures, all with 35mm film. (Back then we never had digital cameras – lol)







Thanks so much for reading!!
I hope you enjoyed looking at some of my old photographs!

COMMENTS

BLOGGER: 1
Loading...
Name

abstract acrylic painting art competitions art diary art prints art promotion articles boats drawing fishery icebergs inspiration newfoundland news oil painting paintings pet painting photography portraits progress rock painting seascape surreal tutorials update wildlife art
false
ltr
item
Graham Matthews: Photos of my Art Class Trip to England
Photos of my Art Class Trip to England
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhxDYjEszDG2veE-vMD2CkKG-8m3c7JHOkG8hY6au3lLLx6e7a70ck2RouwxVR1gYF_AKpvO-iiIt4_2I_pUoh60QM-o_cTanjAktr3cscr4IwHBClQsyNs15ibW9ZlcIjYZtCLQs0n09U/w428-h287-k/stnehenge-the-artist.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhxDYjEszDG2veE-vMD2CkKG-8m3c7JHOkG8hY6au3lLLx6e7a70ck2RouwxVR1gYF_AKpvO-iiIt4_2I_pUoh60QM-o_cTanjAktr3cscr4IwHBClQsyNs15ibW9ZlcIjYZtCLQs0n09U/s72-w428-c-h287-k/stnehenge-the-artist.jpg
Graham Matthews
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2011/12/voyage-abroad-oil-painting-on-canvas.html
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2011/12/voyage-abroad-oil-painting-on-canvas.html
true
6749287200691343455
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy