I'm Never Lonely as Long as I Can Create

Why are artists typically lonely people who have trouble making friends?

Why are artists typically people who enjoy spending time alone, and many times, have trouble communicating - or even making friends?

Lonely Artist


There are many lonely artists out there. I know it - I am one of them. I have always been lonely, even before I started painting. I have always had trouble communicating, relating to others and making friends. Even in relationships, I have always felt alone.

It's through my art that I've found at least some consolation. My art is like a best friend - one who is always there through the ups and downs. I know I can always depend on my art and creativity to always be there, even if I don't have the means to express it.



I have tried other things to cope with loneliness as well, to keep busy and keep my mind occupied. In the past, I have been a big fan of video games, and spent countless hours engrossed in them. These days I don't play them so much, since I now see that it didn't allow me a solution to loneliness - they only allowed me to hide and escape from it - and from this world. The same goes with television and movies - which I now try to keep at a minimal in favor of my art.

The Solo One


For as long as I can remember, I have had trouble making friends. Even when I spent time around people, they talked about things I didn't relate to or wasn't interested in, such as who won the latest hockey game, or something political. When someone said something, I learned to just nod my head in approval, or smile to give the impression I related in some way - but I often didn't.

I think fondly of my art college days, mainly because I had friends with common interests. After college, I haven't managed to make any friends interested in art, except online friends of course. I have hundreds of online friends and family who I share my art with regularly, especially on Facebook. I appreciate them all very much.

I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have that outlet. Since my failed marriage last spring, I have spent most of my time alone, with no means of personal communication, besides my mother and sister - who I appreciate very much.

The Call


There is one main upside to all this though - and that is I have gotten back into painting and writing - something which I stopped doing the past year. I have learned that it is only through struggle and hardship, and how I deal with it, that I will become a better person. I am using my loneliness for my benefit, and spending time doing all the things I enjoy - which are mainly painting and writing.

I know one thing - I'm never lonely as long as I can create!

Thank-you for reading and just being here! I appreciate you!

If you enjoyed this post, you might enjoy these as well:
Talking About Art
Creating Something Better

Please consider supporting my art and writing by becoming a patron. Thanks!

COMMENTS

BLOGGER
Name

abstract acrylic painting art competitions art diary art prints art promotion articles boats drawing fishery icebergs inspiration newfoundland news oil painting paintings pet painting photography portraits progress rock painting seascape surreal tutorials update wildlife art
false
ltr
item
Graham Matthews: I'm Never Lonely as Long as I Can Create
I'm Never Lonely as Long as I Can Create
Why are artists typically lonely people who have trouble making friends?
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh-DVqC_r7OhmL1Zv-5pn7njRO_rBsikERjaF_dc2PpJieWyMhf7TQ0p6ESnF9u_QIBz5uNYoN-YxKE3ruCY6gaXyCFArWiuhtorIsUJlMFncvtfi5o_G5B27hhP01ZggFM-hPFMWf5Hgo/s640/lonely-artist.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh-DVqC_r7OhmL1Zv-5pn7njRO_rBsikERjaF_dc2PpJieWyMhf7TQ0p6ESnF9u_QIBz5uNYoN-YxKE3ruCY6gaXyCFArWiuhtorIsUJlMFncvtfi5o_G5B27hhP01ZggFM-hPFMWf5Hgo/s72-c/lonely-artist.jpg
Graham Matthews
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2018/12/im-never-lonely-as-long-as-i-can-create.html
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/
https://grahammatthewsart.blogspot.com/2018/12/im-never-lonely-as-long-as-i-can-create.html
true
6749287200691343455
UTF-8
Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy